Thursday, February 17, 2011

The circle....

Years ago I went through a very challenging divorce. I wasn't sure how things were going to turn out. I felt overwhelmed with fear and didn't know how to deal constructively with all the details of the divorce and my emotions related to it. I sought help. I reached out to a woman that I met in a support circle. She was immediately comforting and seemed to know exactly what I was going through. It was an unforgettable moment of grace to reach out to her and develop a relationship with her during and over the years following the divorce. I had struck gold.

Later, once the crisis passed, I asked her about her kindness and understanding. She said that she had gone through almost the exact same experience. She did not know at the time how she would get through it and a friend, who had been through it before her, took her hand and supported her through it all. She was grateful to have shared her experience with me and I was grateful to receive it.

This is the circle of emotional sobriety and support. When we are thrown into difficult situations and we reach out for assistance, the help shows up. Our emotional sobriety is often connected to our spiritual health as well. As we use healthful, personal empowerment tools to weave our way through challenging situations, we learn skills for life. When we utilize a spiritual connection with a Higher Power and do what we can, surrendering the rest, we find we are cared for in unexpected ways. We also learn skills and experiences that can make a difference in the lives of others.

Our difficulties become the opportunities for growth. When we navigate our emotional challenges by reaching out for assistance, developing an empowering spiritual connection and remaining open to learning skills to navigate our emotions with integrity, what we need and want will arrive. Today I know women who seek my support in their challenging relationship issues. I experience it as a privilege to share my own lessons in emotional sobriety with them as was shared with me.

Warmly,

Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment