Wednesday, April 1, 2009

In the beginning....

Emotionally sober, as is defined in the dictionary, refers to a feeling state and sober as solemn and serious. Let's face it. This doesn't sound like much fun. I chose the term to, hopefully, attract readers and thinkers and feelers who are interested in emotional health and even vibrant and authentic connections in relationships. It's also something that I know a little bit about since I've been involved with addiction recovery for twenty years. I even wrote a book. Check out www.cosexaddiction.com for more information or go to Amazon or a local bookstore. The book is all about confronting the addictive dynamics in relationships and creating authentic intimacy. Here is a brief overview;

   In order to begin to live authentically, we must first confront our inauthenticity. Looking at our addictions, either in substance or behavior, is foundational. From this place of doing family of origin and grief work, we find ourselves and begin to embrace our emotions as a means of full expression and clarify our own values in order to live with integrity. Now comes the good stuff. Once addiction is addressed and transformed, our energy is free to explore our Higher Purpose and Divine Destiny. This is where we connect with our Spiritual Guides and Soul Partners. We discover our Divine Purpose and share our gifts with others. We are now in sacred service and our lives will be fulfilled. 

While I do not have any overt substance addictions in my life today, I still find myself challenged with my own low self-esteem and difficulty in setting boundaries. When I ask for what I want or confront enabling or disrespectful behavior, there is still a message inside that tells me that I don't deserve or if only something were not wrong in some way with me, I wouldn't want or need this boundary or request to be fulfilled. The dis-ease becomes more subtle. My awareness and intuitive sense, however, becomes more sensitized as well. This is good. I have more available within my own emotional and intuitive resources to draw upon. 

Together we'll explore what it means to live Emotionally Sober and Authentically Connected. For today, let's just say breathing deeply and owning our own addictive tendencies is the beginning. 

Good start, for a beginning.

To joyful and authentic relationships, 

Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment