Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Generosity

How does generosity coincide with emotional intelligence and sobriety? Well, I am not sure myself, I just know that it does. At least my intuition is telling me this today so as I explore it with you perhaps we can discover the connection together.

For me, generosity of spirit is important. It means honoring that part of us that desires to give to others. I believe we are born generous, with a desire to connect, belong, share and care. I also believe that we must be allowed our selfishness to really embrace our generous spirits. If I am able to say "no" and hold with strength my own thoughts, feelings, wants and boundaries, I can then say "yes" with the same authenticity and share from my own fullness with generous vibrancy. As I honor this in myself, I am able to honor it in others as well.

It's a mystery and paradox of the emotional world. When we say "no", we have the freedom to say "yes." Furthermore, I believe to the extent that we embrace our own selfishness, is the extent that we are able to give a full hearted "yes" when we mean "yes" and demonstrate generosity.

So, here is the paradoxical connection between generosity and emotional sobriety. When we allow ourselves with honesty and courage to own our selfishness, we are able then to more fully express our own generosity. To grow in Emotional Sobriety, to allow our emotions to add richness and depth to our lives without ruling our lives, means we must be willing to own our own shadows. In owning our shadows, we are able to also own and express our gifts and light.

Emotional maturity and sobriety takes time to develop. We learn to take care of ourselves and keep our heart open and free. In doing this we have a natural desire to give to others and share from our heart. We are not holding ourselves back for fear of something being taken away or demanded of us. We are in charge of ourselves and in this power to act, think and speak as we choose, we give without restraint.

We we care for self first, we are able to give from the fullness within. This is the foundation for generosity of spirit, heart and soul.

Sally


No comments:

Post a Comment